-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Stakes

It is the old 'stock' vs 'non stock' thing again.

==========================

Eddie and others,

Not at all, Eduardo. It's 'tasteful custom' versus 'poorly-planned
changes that detract from the overall appearance of the car'. Your
hornet (for instance [duck!] looks fine in custom colors, and a l
ess Toyota spoiler would look fine... but that huge wing you've got,
to my eye, clashes with the car's lines severely.

Just to illustrate my view on the 'custom' green AMX, I did a quick
photo-shop job on it to tweak the changes so that they don't battle
the car's original lines, but instead flow from and with them. The
changes are subtle, and perhaps many won't see the difference...but
I'll list the changes I made, and you all can squint real hard at the
attached photos to see if my tweaks become more clear.

1- 'Dumbo-ear' Euro mirrors must go. 80's Camaro-type pillar mirrors
blend better.

2- headlamp bezels and tail panel should be black, NEVER white (even
if the whole damn Javelin is white...sorry).

3- Air dam opening looks blocked off instead of open. Hide this with
mesh similar to grille.

4- Uncover and properly aim the driving lights...it ain't a 4x4 and
the covers look tacky. If they must be there, paint 'em black.

5- Mid-80s Cadillacs have slim side marker/turn illumination lamps
that would be far nicer than cutting a big hole and slapping a driving
light in the fender! YUCK!!

6- Sides of air dam extended to flow level to ground, then follow the
tire's edge with the same clearance all the way around...not wider at
the bottom as it was.

7- Rear of the front flares also follows tire contour exactly.

8- Rear flares mimic the sides of the air dam...level bottom, then
follow tire edge.

9- Lowered the car another 3/4" or so.

10: Aluminum slot 'Hallibrand'-type wheels....totally 60's hippie
cool...
but on a car with so much 90's stuff added? NOPE. I stuffed 17s under
it.

Other choices he made (like the color, the white top and the doubled-up
hood cowl) were left alone, tho I'd change both of these, too, if the
car
were mine.

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com