[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 360 Engine for the Gremlin

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 360 Engine for the Gremlin

The tiny "Performer" intake, & cam series is SBC tech applied to AMC, maybe fine for 290/304s, but 360s & up LOVE to breath. The 360 is already a torque monster with 390 ft.lbs, nearly as much as my NEW Hemi Challenger!  The 904 is the next best thing to a 727, and has less parasitic drag, so I'd be putting a looser converter in it while the engine is out...it's no weak trans, either...plenty of racers are using them instead of 727s...you are going to have basically a 4,000 RPM power band, with the upper 2k being where the peak is, if you dare to open up the inlet AND exhaust sides, 1-5/8" headers, also fine for a little engine, low revving car, but you lose a BUNCH over 4,000 RPM, right where these heads come on strong, I never use anything under 1-7/8". Pick your peak RPM, I'd have to cast my vote for 6,300~6,500 bursts, an extrusion-honed R4b or a Torker + 3310 Holley 750, big-tube headers, big tube exhaust, H-pipe. (My fresh 401 is getting 4" exhaust & I'm building 2.25" stepped headers from a Hooker BBC weld-up kit & AMC flanges). Building yours for mid 6k bursts as redline, your power spread should start just over 2k. As long as your kickdown linkage is set right, you may be surprising some Hemi Challengers, Camaros, 'stangs, etc...Isn't THAT the goal?  I'd have to disagree with the dished piston idea & go for flattops with .045" piston to head clearance, that is how to avoid the ping, which dished pistons DO cause. Unshroud your valves, and set your compression ratio by chamber volume, not dished pistons. That .045" clearance is THE number throughout performance engine building, cars, bikes, 2-stroke or 4-stroke. except when using aluminum rods, which need more clearance because of thermal expansion. Especially since you won't be putting that many miles on it, why not go for the gusto? You can sell that Performer stuff to the Jeep guys for trail riding, it's what they use for their low RPM putting up hills.  Gotta go....

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)