Re: [gremlintime] 401

In a message dated 5/24/00 10:50:12 PM SA Pacific Standard Time,
abbott@xxxx writes:

<< well my 73 gremmie is sitting in the gerage (see my last letter)i all
so have a 1976 401ci 4bbl sitting beside it out of a cherokee
(rebuilt) question the jeep was 4wd automatic the gremlin is a 232ci
automatic i know i have to change the k frame but does any one know
if the 401 will bolt up to the origional trannie??
please e mail me at abbott@xxxx or post anything you got i have
done a few swaps on amc but not this on. >>

Yer gonna need a V8 crossmember from a original V8 Gremlin circa 72-76,Hornet
70-77,Concord 78-79 or Spirit 79.also the trans from the 76 Cherokee,was it
a Turbo 400? or a Mopar 727? if it was bolted to a T400,your going to need a
adapter kit i.e crank bushing,longer trans bolts the adapter plat ring all
can be gotten from American Performance Cocoa Florida (407)632-8299.Now if it
was bolted to a 727 all you need is a 401 flexplate and you can use it on
your what..AMC/Mopar 904? if its a 904 i'd have it rebuilt i.e stronger bands
and torque convertor cuz with a 401 bolted to a turd 232's tranny ,yer gonna
smoke it in a heart beat.my 73 once had a turd 6 in it as well and shes had a
360 now a healthy mean ass 343.also DO get a V8 rear,i.e a Mopar 8 and 3/4 a
Ford 9 inch or a AMC model 20 rear the 68-70 AMX and Javelin V8 rears fit
perfect. well i hope i helped ya out in some way AMCya
Bart Mangrum
76 Gremlin??will keep y'all posted >:)