GREAT AMC weekend in Charlotte, NC & old Pikeville AMC dealership...

GREAT AMC weekend in Charlotte, NC & old Pikeville AMC dealership...

 Well, it was a super weekend for me and my buddy Tim who accompanied me
on a mid-night to 7 AM all-morning drive from northern Virginia down to
Charlotte NC area on Saturday to the big Autofair at the speedway. We got
there about 8 am after a quick breakfast, and proceeded to ogle some show
cars for an hour, had about 5 AMCs on the showfield , two Javelins, a
Barcalona Matador, a Rebel Machine, and an AMX. After that, inspected some
Tri-Chevies of 55-56-57 vintage, then we split and started looking for parts
and stuff. I found on like the first rows I went down, two people who had
Gremlins for sale! One a fallen-tree-damaged '72 with 6-cylinder, the other a
'72 with 304 and a 4-speed, had front end damage from a collision with a
tree. The 6-cylinder car the guy wanted $300 for it. The V-8 car, the old
gentleman wanted $1,500 for it. I got the number of the V-8 Gremlin, the
other guy is supposed to call me with details. Anyone interested, email me, I
have too many Gremlins already!!! ( Eight IS enough! LOL )
After that, it was mucking around for 2 hours between 10 and 12 with rain
falling, sometimes heavy. I found 6 volcano center caps, a 1-bbl Carter carb,
and not much else before noon. One set of AMC Pacer-style full turbine
hubcaps with center caps, guy wanted $75 for the set, I walked away. Didn't
really like the style. Center caps weren't bad, the plastic hubcaps needed a
repaint.
Met my bud for lunchtime, then we split again, I hit another part of the
field for 2 more hours, started REALLY buying then! :D Got some 1918
Jeffery's truck ads from a REALLY old magazine for $4 each, two of them! Got
two more volcano caps, a couple Desoto full-size hubcaps, some sets of VA
license plates, then to cap it off, found a magazine dealer, she had hundreds
of old mags, I got 18 of them with AMC content, INCLUDING some of the
hard-to-find '71 issues of Super Stock racing with the Gremlin in it! I got
TWO of those. Found a few magazines I'd never heard of, one had an article on
the "new" Javelins. SHould be interesting week of reading coming up!
I topped off with two AMC postcards from a discount box at another lit
dealer, then headed back to meet my buddy Tim. We sat awhile, he went off
while I rested, then we hit the racetrack to see the cars for sale while
heading towards the exit. Saw several nice Ramblers there, including a rodded
old '50's Rambler wagon, then we headed out and stayed overnight with some of
Tim's relatives.
In the morning, Tim and I drove up to visit an ORIGINAL and supposedly
STILL OPERATIONAL AMC dealership in Pikeville, NC today. Along the way we saw
a '72 or '73 Gremlin at an old Trailer park, green, on I-70 near Smithfield I
think, looked to be in good shape. We also stopped at a flea market near
Raleigh, and got some custom show " license plates " made, I had the AMC flag
logo on mine, Tim had a black plate with a " Hornet" on it , both from books
they had of different logos. We're ready for the show-car circuit now! ( uh,
wait...mine still aren't good enough, and neither is Tim's Hornet...oh well!
)
We finally found the old AMC dealership on Rt. 117 ; it has probably over
100 cars, over half are AMC's from Pacers, to Marlins to Gremlins to Matador
coupes and sedans. ALL over the place. MANY Matadors and Ambassadors. It's on
Rt. 117, east ,about 1 hour, of Raleigh, NC. Apparently the old man there
bought the old inventory from Chrysler when the place shut down in '87, and
has sold a "few" cars...I think I remember hearing he wants alot of bucks for
them, though! He does have many cool ones - Red/White/Blue Javelin, '70 Ram
Air Javelin, 390 '69 Javelin, etc. Only open Monday thru Friday, according to
a local guy we flagged down to ask questions of . Just wild seeing all those
AMC cars in an overgrown, weedy lot, but sad too, they're just going to
waste.
Tim and I left around 4 pm, made it back to my house by 8, it was about
233 miles from Woodbridge, VA to Pikeville, NC. Not too bad! We may have to
THRILL to see an actual former AMC dealership , even if the cars are
degrading and decaying. Still an awesome sight! :) Not quite as good as the
visit to Kenosha, but still an AMC " Mecca " in a small fashion. I'm bushed,
but still happy as it was a great stress-reliever to see so many old cars,
and old AMCs as well.
Guess that's all, I'll be needing some rest before work tomorrow. AMC
ya'll!

Jerry in Virginia