Intake exhaust manifold

Speaking of exhaust emission. We got luck in Louisville, Ky. and they are
doing away with it after Nov. Question I have what was the last year that
the exhaust and intake manifold didn't have the emission wholes in them and
would I have any problems putting one on a 78 232. I know my old 77 258
didn't have all the pollution controls on it but I don't want to change
carbs. Wouldn't swap but all my pollution controls pipes as well as my erg
valve is gone. Cost to much to fix it. Thanks.