Gremlin ported/polished head is back from shop....Clifford valve cover .

Gremlin ported/polished head is back from shop....Clifford valve cover ...

 Looks like I lucked out, my buddy Ben Franklin ( no, NOT the hundred
dollar bill, although I'll have a few more of THOSE this week when my bonus
check hits! LOL ) traded me a Clifford 6 aluminum valve cover for some Jeep
wiring work, it fits a later-model '81-86 AMC head, and it so happens my
"new" head is off an '80's model 258 engine. So happy-happy all around! My
friend John, who did the polishing work , is going to get the valves
installed this week along with new freeze plugs and the springs and such,
then hopefully we'll install it on my '74 gold Gremlin w/ 126k miles in a
couple weeks, and jump the ol' HP to 200+ over the stock 145 factory. I'll
need a header exhaust, and the 4-bbl manifold for THAT ( I have the manifold,
need the exhaust, though ), then the lil' Gremlin ought to rip-roar and
snort! I couldn't get the current weezer to pull more than 94 MPH going
downhill, so I'm anxious to see what it'll do once it's got the free-flowing
head on it. :D
I haven't done much else on other Gremlins in the driveway, 'cept look
at them. Been busy house-cleaning, furniture-rearranging, and trying to
organize and throw out stuff, as my "pack-rat" mentality has left me rich in
junk, poor in space! Argh! Gotta throw SOMETHING away, or recycle it! Just no
room anymore...sigh. Anyhow, at least one of my Gremlin projects is making
progress, the '74 I THINK needs a new exhaust manifold anyway, it's developed
a rather loud sound, so it may have cracked. Good time to get the new header
and exhaust system!
That's my report, once I get the 6-banger breathin' better, I'll let you
know how it went. Maybe I can get John to teach me how to port-and-polish
before he moves to California for a few years.

Jerry in Virginia