Re: [gremlintime] V-8 distributor gears received, upgrade to GM HEI plan

Re: [gremlintime] V-8 distributor gears received, upgrade to GM HEI planned...auction Saturday...

Have you considered a Davis Unified Ignition? It's basically a GM HEI adapted to fit almost anything.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Gremlingts@xxxx
To: gremlintime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gremlintime] V-8 distributor gears received, upgrade to GM HEI planned...auction Saturday...
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:16:52 EDT

After a few days delay due to a credit card "problem", I got my
order in order, and received my 3 new AMC V-8 distributor shaft gears this week. I
hope to begin the process of modifying a GM distributor to replace my points
unit in the gold '74 Gremlin. Seeing as how I intend to have 3 Gremlins on the
road in the future, figured I might as well order more gears to convert them
over later. :) Anyway, they look good, were only $18 from Tellico4x4.com, and
hopefully will do the job. I talked to a tech at Tellico, and he said they
"recommend" replacing the gear on the camshaft, as the old gears may develop a
flat spot on the contact area of the gears, and installing a new gear " may "
cause a problem ( ie, stripping the new gear and/or camshaft gear teeth off ).
I decided to go without, as I don't intend to pull the camshaft out now, and
will risk the possible problem. I will have the OEM 6-cylinder gear looked at
to see if a problem can be averted if it does have the suspect wear pattern.
Sure don't need to tear up my engine if I can help it! I'll probably pull the
distributor out before I do the timing chain ( or somewhere close ), and if
there is major wear, then I can abort the timing chain replacement,and pull the
cam out when I redo the head this summer. Might be a good excuse to "upgrade"
the cam then, too! LOL. Oh well, one thing leads to another sometimes.
Planning on hitting an auction this weekend, there's lots of Jeep stuff,
an AMC Pacer, and loads of other interesting stuff at the Rixeyville, VA estate
auction ( details at
<A HREF="http://www.tillettanddamewoodauctioneers.com/";>http://www.tillettanddamewoodauctioneers.com/</A> ).
Well, that's all for today, I have a pounding sinus headache ( RUN,
it's SARS ! ). LOL. I'm gonna go lay down for awhile. AMC ya,

Jerry in Virginia