Re: [AMC-List] E85 and Old Cars

E85 may have a performance advantage in forced induction engines.
Ethanol has ~ 2.6 times the latent heat of vaporization (Btu/gallon),
and the heating value of ethanol is only ~.6 of the heating value of
gasolene (Btu/gallon).  This means you could expect the intake air to be
significantly cooler when using E85; possibly cool enough to eliminate
the need for an intercooler.  Westech Performance Group measured a
temperature drop of ~100 degrees from the carburetor enclosure to the
manifold, this temperature drop was with gasolene, and E85 should cool
it further.

There is a problem comparing prices however; (I think Tom Jennings said
it) 'we buy fuel in gallons but use it in Btu/mile'.  Because E85 has
less Btu/gallon it has to cost less per gallon to cost the same per mile.

Peter Marano
Kenosha WI