Re: [AMC-List] E85 and Old Cars

By "consumer reasons" I was referring strictly to economic reasons. Transportation makes E85 about the same cost as gasoline on the east coast.

I'm not AGAINST cleaner air, I think we have the technology, just not the motivation. The government is trying -- it has mandated that ALL gas stations must have the ability to fuel with ethanol, and that ethanol must be in all gasoline -- apparently. We just got out of commander's call and were informed that there may be a couple days where the base (consumer) gas station, and even local commercial ones, may be out of gasoline for a couple days while they have their tanks cleaned in preparation of storing fuels containing alcohol. All water has to be removed since alcohol will absorb water. We were told that it's a nationwide mandate that has to be met by 01 May. That might be why the gas companies have been screwing us lately -- in fear (or anticipation) of lesser volume being sold. If they were smart they'd invest in alcohol producing plants (alcohol is supposedly going to be a source of hydrogen for fuel cells as well). If they were advertising such and using those windf!
 all profits for that I think they would be a little more publicly tolerated.

Our government is always wanting to stick their fingers into individual, private lives, but seems to be scared to do so with big business. I think that's mostly because to many of our elected officials have stakes in big business. Instead of telling big business what they need to do the gov't tries to offer "incentives" that just don't work anymore. Big business in the US is short sighted -- what will turn a profit now or tomorrow. They don't think about what's going to happen 10-20 years down the road. Some do, but most have lost any vision beyond a five year plan. If George Mason and Romney had thought that way, AMC would have died whne the last of the big Nash and Hudson cars went away, or shortly after.