Re: [AMC-List] A/C question

If our talking about the small capillary tube, it should pull out of the evaporater. You may have to open the case to get it out. If you kink or smash it the control is done and you will need to replace it. It's basically a thermometer type device that transfers the information of how hot or cool the evap is by the the amount of presure in the tube. Be carefull with it! Switching the old A/C's to "desert" mode simply bypasses this sensor. In humid climates the evap will then freeze up. YOu can adapt parts that are still available to these units if one gets trashed or smashed. They used them clear up thru the 80's on AMC's and some Renaults.
Aftermarket units where almost all knob based, Factory units could be either lever or knob.
  Now that I've typed all this, I figure you will be talking about something else.!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net