Re: [AMC-List] Trans Pan Leaks

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Bill Strobel wrote:

> I've had good luck using the cork gasket and weather strip adhesive.  Clean the pan and the transmission mounting surface with brake cleaner, use the weather strip adhesive on both sides of the gasket, assemble, and here is the important part wait 48 hours till you fill it with tranny fluid.  If you can wait longer even better.  Give that gasket plenty of time to bond to the tranny.  Make sure the pan surface is dead flat and clean.  Hope this helps.

Well thanks for the tip. The NAPA gasket seemed pretty good,
about 1/8" thick, rubber. I thought I had the pan flat enough.

I'm hoping the kludgey Right Stuff (some elastomer stuff;
never used it but one rebuilder I knew swore by it) along the
external edge after degreasing will hold a year or six months.
I can live with a minor seep I guess.

I was gonna have it rebuilt this year, but didn't get to it. It
shifts fine, but is slow to go into gear. (about 3/4 second;
used to be a lot less.) No slipping, noises, funny shifts, etc.

It's not a job I'm prepared to do myself at this time. I am
seriously considering going back to B&E Transmissions in San
Francisco (400 mi north), they (used to be, at least) brain
surgeon quality (hence my 18 yrs on this one rebuild). I'll
pre-pay for parts and ship up my spare torque converter for
rebuild, drive up, visit friends a few days and drive back.

The guy in Westminster seems OK, but he tuned up this trans
a year or so ago and left the pan badly leaky, and used a
really cheap gasket. My old M35 I do not screw with -- I want
it treated like aircraft and I'm willing to pay for that. (I'm
cheap in other areas though :-)

I am trying to avoid even pulling/installing the M35 at home;
all I have is a driveway and it REALLY SUCKS doing transmissions
on your back. I did two in the yast year. I'll end up paying more
'cause torque-tube cars become immovable with the trans out,
but at this point...