[AMC-List] 258 HEI Upgrade... which gear?

[AMC-List] 258 HEI Upgrade... which gear?

OK, in the past I have taken the gear off of the 258
dist, put it on an HEI from a 250 and run it, though I
have never done it on a vehicle that I have had very
long.

All of the websites I see say you have to use the gear
from an AMC 360?  Any opinions?

If I put a new 360 gear on my HEI and drop it in, is
there any chance that it will not mesh properly and
get destroyed as has happened when people have
installed HEI's with non-matched gears in AMC V8's
(new dist gear w/old cam drive gear)?

My 79 AMX runs great for a stocker, however, I would
like to put on an HEI with M-craft 2100... maybe a
header.

Your experienced input is appreciated,

Jesse