Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 7, Issue 23

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I know one fellow who got
> a big finned heat sink from an old electronic power supply (ancient!)
> and riveted that to the bottom of the pan. The heat sink covered most
> of the pan and was about an inch thick. Should have made quite a
> difference!

If the thermally coupled it to the pan... even a thin airgap
would keep the thermal resistance high.

I saw somewhere (B&M?) a deep trans pan that had a row of
tubes welded in, running straight through the pan front to
rear, so that air would flow through them, of course covered
in fluid inside. not for the M35 of course, but not THAT hard
to fabricate.

But I really think a simple temp gauge on the thing will tell
a lot -- if it's not getting hot, cooling isn't needed! For me,
the simplicity is attractive -- I'll just slow down.

This coming winter, I have to decide what to do about mine
(torque tube M35 in 63 Classic Wagon).

* Find someone to do drive in/drive out rebuild?
* Pull, drop off [where?], reinstall, in driveway? (ugh)
* Find core, have rebuilt [where?], swap in driveway? (ugh)
* Find manual-trans-not-T96, convert? (ugh) (but was manual car orig)

>From what I can tell, it's gonna cost me $800 - $1000 anyways
no matter what I do. I want it done right. I have a T96/OD
but I don't trust them.