[AMC-List] Fwd: Rambler prototype for Sale

[AMC-List] Fwd: Rambler prototype for Sale

I checked the serial number. It appears to be a mid 1964 number
(starting number H255001 for 64). Since serial numbers were assigned as
orders came in this is not unusual for an early production car, and AMC
often pulled cars off the line for specials -- that's why the "Cowboy"
pickup prototype has an SC/360 VIN. I don't think it unusual that the
car has a 64 serial number but construction was in late 63 -- July and
August were the typical change-over months from one model year to the
next (all or part of both months, not 60 days though!). The oddity here
is the extended wheelbase. 63 and 64 Ambassadors shared the Classic
wheelbase, they weren't longer until 65. It's quite possible that the
car wasn't titled for a year after construction considering it's a
prototype. I believe it to be authentic, unless someone changed the
serial number plate. It does require a close inspection -- the serial
number plate should be welded under the hood on the right spring tower.
I would be curious to see the data plate and what model number it has.
Could be 65xx, 63xx, or 64xx, or even blank! I think I'll ask for photos
of these two places.