Re: [AMC-List] Fuel Injecting the big dogs

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> The Retrotek system has a MAP sensor and an O2 sensor (wide band/four
> wire -- says it just needs to be in one side on a V-8).

I did calcs and drawings for a "FI Carter YF" (up to 250HP).
Can do it with a single injector, in a modified YF.  I think I
know how to measure air flow and engine demand w/two pressure
sensors (need to proof that) in a hacked up YF. No need for
recirculating fuel or even tightly regulated fuel pressure --
simply adjust pulse width with instantaneous pressure ("area
under the curve"). Idle air is in a YF already... simple
thermistor for carb temp (good enough for the carburetor, close
enough to coolant :-) Everything but the fuel boost pump could
fit inside the carburetor body -- electronics too!  With feedback
(wide-band O2) I could make it primitively learn.

To proof it I'd need a "flow bench" air pump and flow meter
to characterize my flow/demand measurement with two pressure
sensors. If that works I know I could make it go. Closed-loop
software servo systems I can do.

Too many possible projects in the world though.