Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 11, Issue 52

Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 11, Issue 52

Spro,
   It's also quite likely that the trans is a Tremec T-176. The 176 was
commonly used behind sixes and eights between 1976-1982, and is a very
decent medium-duty trans. I wouldn't put it behind anything larger than
a small block, particularly not for use off-road, but on-road it's a
very smooth and capable unit.
   The T-18 used in Jeeps were more commonly found in the trucks-
J-10s, 20s, and the thousands, and also in some Wagoneer and Cherokee
models. I believe most of these heavy-duty units had a 4:1 first gear,
though, not the 6.32:1 found in the unit as used in Ford and Scout
vehicles of the era. I purchased one of these for my '82 Jeep Scrambler
when the wimpy T-5 gave out AGAIN (at least the fourth time); mine came
from a 1978 Ford F250 with a dump bed.
   I don't know if the T-176 can be functionally discerned from the
T-18 from the outside, except perhaps by the lack of a synchro on first
gear (if it has one, it's also possible it's a T-19, but that was not
offered in the Jeep) or the throw of the shifter. Either way, as you
said, it can be decoded by the VIN.

Nick