Re: [Amc-list] AMC INK

Yes you did -- sorry for shouting! ;>
I'm like you -- I'd call the AMX both a sports and muscle car. Back then
the definition for a true sports car also had to be a convertible or
roadster (the difference between those two -- a convertible has a
permanently attached folding top, a roadster has a removable folding
and/or hard top). So maybe it was technically a sports coupe. Only
Americans would call a Camaro or Mustang a sports car -- the things have
back seats!!! ;> Sporty cars, yes, and maybe a European would let you
get by with calling one a sports coupe. Typically in Europe a "sports
coupe" was called a 2+2 in the 60s -- like the Jag XKE with a back seat
and even some of the big Jensens.

Unlike the Ford/AC Cobra, the AMX would have handled about the same no
matter the size of the engine. The Cobras handled much better with the
SBF, the BBF cars were more of a dragster. I read a road course test
between the two versions of Cobra and they ended up finishing about the
same. The SB version took the curves faster, but the BB version won out
on the straights and powered out of tight turns better (had to brake
like he-- going into them though!). The testing team (Car and Driver, or
Road and Track...) started one car in front of the other then switched.
Neither could pass the other once started in that position!

Most consider "mid size" and pony cars w/bb engines a muscle car, or
engines in the 390+ range in cases where only one block serves all. I
don't consider a 350 a muscle car, but then I remember the "real" muscle
cars! For 1977 or so and later I suppose 350 can be considered muscle...

Date: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:54 AM
From: Jock J Jocewicz <namdra@xxxxxxxx>

Frank,
  I never said Statham singled out the AMX. I did say it was one of the
five cars to be voted on. And as far as the original AMX, wasn't it a
sports car, not a muscle car? Or was it both? An AMX with the 290 surely
couldn't be called a muscle car!