Re: [Amc-list] IH Auto Question

" From: hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx
"
" My '69 Scout has a T-19 in it.  In '71 (?) IH began buying 258s for
" the Scout as IH phased out the slant 4 152 and 196s.  No clue what
" they have behind them!
"
" - Justin

'71 should be an iron warner.  i don't think the little scout's engine
bay was long enough for a straight 6 before that, but ih started
replacing their old 241 with 232s in '68-9.  i think some sort of
emission rule kicked in that year, as lincoln also dropped their old
462 for the newer [but not better] 460.  that was mid model-year, in
jan '68.

i can understand why the ex-studebaker executive team didn't also take
the engine plant when they bought the avanti line, but it's a little
sad they went with chevy v8s instead of amc especially as they still
kept the iron warner and not a gm auto.