Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV head bolt dimensions

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV head bolt dimensions

I looked at the 195.6OHV head on my way out the door this AM.

5 short bolts
4 medium bolts (two are stud-heads)
6 long bolts

SHORT are under the valve cover on the distributor side.

MEDIUM and LONG are all the others; the only difference is
the aluminum intake valley cover is about .5" high and the LONG
bolts go there. The four MEDIUMS are on the ends where the valley
cover isn't. Chances are the LONG bolts would work over there --
easily checked (drop one in the hole without a washer and see
if it bottoms).

The block is milled for 5 short and all the rest long. It's
very simple.

The parts catalog for 63 will easily solve this -- see if it
specs 5 short, two studs, 8 longs; or 6 long + 2 medium. My
guess is, AMC simply drilled/tapped those holes an extra 1/4"
- 1/2" to simplify stock.

All those oddball bolts in my donor head are from decades of
use/abuse/repairs/etc.