Re: [Amc-list] dumping the snake

Joe; you asked about converting from a serpitine belt
to a V belt. I didn't see any answer so I will provide
one.
My 82 spirit had that silly belt and I used a 73 258
to donate parts. You pull the bottom damper of course,
and install the V belt damper. You also need a diff
water pump and top pully, as the serp pump turns in
the opposite direction, plus the shaft is too short to
use the V belt pully. The serp alternator is a Delco,
so look for an 80 or older alt, (I happened to have
one around, year unknown) or install the V pully on
the serp alt.
Here is where it gets sticky- The serp alt mounts on
the right side and I wanted to put it on the left,
where it belongs. So to use the older alt bracket you
need a diff timing cover, as the serp belt TC has the
timing marks in the way. I found a timing cover with
the needed cam button and swapped that out so I could
mount an older bracket. Then my sickness kicked in-
I had the timing chain exposed and saw it was bad, so
I skidaddled down to the Jeep place and picked up a
roller chain. A roller chain is useless without a
lumpy cam, so I got a hot cam and lifters. The head
needed to come off to swap these out so I did a 242
head swap with a Clifford intake and the stock Jeep
headers. A 2V carb from a late 60s Dodge 318 completed
the swap. I'd had the head prepped last year.
So I bolted everything together and the V belt swap
came out real nice. An ign upgrade using the Ford dist
completed the whole job.
The posi swap and sway bar was a cake walk compared to
the V belt swap.
Funny how a V belt swap made this Spirit so much
quicker!......Russ