Re: [Amc-list] caspers cancer (was wwyd??)

Re: [Amc-list] caspers cancer (was wwyd??)

The fiber glassing does work.
I did it to the floorboards in my American.
The trick as Frank says it to get all the loose rust gone and you MUST be sure you have completely sealed it inside and out of the repair.
  If moisture gets in between the glass and the metal it WILL fail.
That why I  mentioend a few days ago I would not recomend the glass inthe cowl corners of the 65-66 and maybe 63-64's? I think from what I saw of the glassed repairs in the flood car there may be too much flex in that area to allow it to stay sealed allowing moisture into the repair.
  The flood car had two perfectly formed fiberglass cowl corners sitting under the carpet, completely undercoated inside and out. They were no longer attached to anything though!

  The 62 looks different, so I honestly cannot comment on how it would hold up there.
If I did not want to weld all those pieces in I would go with 18 gauge metal cut out all the rust I could and bond patches in with adhesives rated for the job. There are so many I would not recomend one as I don't know them.
   I would cut patches to fill those flats to close the angles where the metal is spot welded together and then bond the patches in filling the flats with new metal.  If it's accessable I'd consider sandwiching the holed metal between new metal, but that posses a bunch of other issues due to sealing and protecting the are between the sandwhich.

   I've never seen a 62 apart and close up, so I don't really know what it should or should not have done or what rust is a structural issue. I would have loved to got that car Jerjan offered up, but can't retrieve such a thing. I like the looks of the 62 and maybe someday I'll stumble over a nice one. Maybe not.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>