Re: [Amc-list] Tankin' the 65 Project - Analysis

Re: [Amc-list] Tankin' the 65 Project - Analysis

That's exactly the thought that crossed my mind when you started mentiong the prices!
Let us know exactly how this project goes and some pics of the end result would be great!

I did not know GT renu had expanded to have an outlet out there.

I know many people shudder at tank fill inside the trunk, but I have had mine in there since the car was returned it road use sometime aroun 98-99.  The only thing I wish to do different is to get a filler neck with an O-ring sscrew on cap such as used in marine applications. That is what I would do if it was mine. I't drill the hole in the trunk floor, install the filler neck through the trunk floor with the O-ring cap and forget about moving the neck.

Choice two would be to install the tank to connect to the stock filler in the rear neck and redo the exhaust to clear it.

I'd only weld on the tank if forced to. I know it can be done though, just a personal preference.
As for Brazing, you can use a standard welding tip on your Oxy-ac torch set. No special tip required. Keep an nice overlap with brazing, do not do but joints the Braze is not to be used for but "welds". It only has strength when used to join overlaped metals. You can use Braze ot fill pin holes etc;  In overlapped welds braze is stronger than the sheet metal. In testing the surrounding metal fails first, it will always tear first. usually along side the brazed joint.

 The only reason braze is not preferred in body work is the overlaped joints can not be hammered, shrunk or stretched and the flux does not play well with standard plastic body fillers. Before I had a mig I brazed the extremly damaged and rotted passenger rear quarter on my American. To deter problems I wire brushed ets; to remove all flux. Then I skim coated the brazed joints and seams with Duraglas as it does not react to any left over flux.  I cleand painted and undercoated the backside of all repairs after thorough cleaning too. To this day some 10 years later there is not sign of rustthrough or failure.  Of course the other side is fine too..

Thought I mention this incase you did decide to braze.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>