[AMC-list] GM 3wire Alt hookup. (was Re: AMC-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue

[AMC-list] GM 3wire Alt hookup. (was Re: AMC-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 24)

It's really easy. Main wire and sensor wire go to battery  . Other wire goes to light (preferably with a 10 ohm resistor, but not necessary) or with a switched power source, but not on the same circuit as the ignition (unless you add a diode or the car won't shut off. Been there, scratched my head till I figured it out)

From: Jim Boone
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 24

> From: tom jennings

> Yeah you really want the three wire alt - fat charging wire, one to the dash
> light, 3rd also goes to battery to measure battery voltage. Batteries will
> last longer.

This is timely as I need to repair my '72 Mat SW that is not charging. I have a GM - 3 wire I think - rebuilt alternator on the shelf and would like to use it for the Mat; anyone have a link to how to wire it - a schematic or similar? Don't you need to go to the parts store and they have a specific pigtail that needs to be attached? I had researched this some yrs back as I was going to do this to my Rambler, but that car is "blown apart" right now and I've lost the info...

I'm happy I finally got the title straightened out on the Mat! Getting plates soon so I'm just gonna drive it for awhile. It's rusty but has a strong drivetrain. I hate to see it go to the crusher...