[AMC-list] One wire alternator

Thanks for the advice on the one wire alternator.  I bought an AC Delco,  napa part no. 13-4011sw as recommended by Jim.  Modified case so it fit bracket.  Followed instructions on planethouston site.  Battery hot wire connected, pig tail with one red wire, one white wire.  Red wire connected to same connection as hot wire.  White wire connected to orange wire coming off wiring harness (orange wire used on back of orig alternator.  That is it.  Now have alternator lite on in dash when key is off.  When key is turned to on position the alternator light goes off.  Have not started the car yet so don't know what will happen under load.  Question is why is alternator lite on in dash when key is off?