[AMC-list] 360 mods

As to the 4bolt "dilemma",, while there were a "few" 360 "trans am heavy
casting" blocks made they are pretty much all gone now so I won't even
address them. The 360's you and I will see are the "light weight" variety.
If you've ever looked at one you can see there's virtually NO meat between
the edge of the main cap and the pan rail. Even if there were 4 bolt caps
available (3/8 bolts are a joke for additional strength) the bolts are not
really the problem. ARP makes studs that are up to the task. It's the fact
that you just can't make up for the inherent weakness of the block. I
believe it was Car Craft that did a 360 build a few years ago. While they
had no problem getting the AMC to make power, the bottom end went away at
around 480 HP. So,,, bottom line is ,, keep it at about 450 if you want it
to stay with you any length of time.

The problem with camshaft end play has followed the AMC for years. Some
folks have it,, others,, never. What keeps a cam IN the block?? On flat
tappet (Hyd or solid) cams is the offset of the lifter that does it. The
offset does two things. First it makes the lifter rotate distributing wear
AND it "pulls" the cam BACK into the block. SO,, (I'm guessing here because
I have no way to prove it) that "some" AMC blocks just don't have enough
offset to properly keep the cam in the block. That's one reason you will
HAVE to go with some type of endplay control when using rollers, there's no
"offset" to hold the cam in the block.

Why not Rollers?? While they ARE better than a flat tappet,, they ARE also
(for an AMC) VERY expensive!! And believe it or not, especially for low cost
drag racing,, THEY ARE NOT MUCH FASTER!! You might want to argue that point
but I have seen it several times. A guy switches from a flat tappet to a
roller spending a LARGE amount of additional money,,, and MIGHT pick up a
tenth or so. NOW if you are a BIG budget racer,,or endurance racer, they ARE
better and will make more power ultimately. But bang for the buck?? Solid
flat tappets still rule.

There's nothing wrong with a cam button. But there ARE reasonably priced
thrust plate/timing chain kits for the AMC and FOR ME,, that's the way to
go. Gear drives?? Along with the noise comes a pretty hefty price.

 But HEY,,,, that's just ME!

Bruce Hevner