Re: [AMC-list] AMC and Buick ???

From: "cliff"<am401@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Here's a query for you AMC history buffs.
A recent post on one of the Jeep forums stated that Buick and AMC shared
foundry facilities and collaborated on engine design. I know that the 2nd
gen Buick OHV V-8 is remarkable similar to AMC but I have always read that
this was the result of some sort of industrial espionage and nothing else.
As always I would like to correct the misinformed.

I know of no collaboration between Buick and AMC. In fact, the 215 V-8 was introduced in 1961, a few years ahead of the AMC Gen2 V-8. The big block Buick introduced in 1967 to replace the Nailhead resembles the 215 (or rather the 300 iron version of that motor).

It's possible that a foundry that cast AMC blocks also cast Buick blocks. AMC did own a foundry in Canada, but didn't get everything from that one foundry. There were other foundries used as well.

As pointed out, Buick sued AMC over the bridged rockers in the early 70s. That's why most 1973 AMC sixes use bridged rockers and 1974 (and late 73) use rocker shafts -- AMC had to drop the bridged rockers due to the lawsuit. I don't know how the lawsuit was settled -- if AMC won or they paid/traded Buick for the design -- but it was settled in a way that AMC was able to go back to bridged rockers in late 74.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine