Re: [AMC-list] AMC and Buick

>>Amc had engine castings made at the Holmes foundry in near Sarnia
>>Ontario.  They later purchased that foundry in about 1970.   That
>>foundry was started I about 1918 and over the years made parts for
>>both gm and ford.   This is information I was able to piece together
>>from references on the net.

There's some source material I put in the Holmes Foundry entry I put in the AMC Wikipedia article back in 2006 or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors#Facilities
    * Holmes Foundry, Ltd. ? AMC's block-casting foundry was a major AMC factory which is now completely obliterated. Holmes had its main office and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundry>foundry at 200 Exmouth Street, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarnia,_Ontario>Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. Holmes was established in 1918, by Mr. J. S. Blunt, and was called Holmes Blunt Limited. In the early years, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Motor_Company>Ford Motor Company contracted the plant for a steady supply of engine casting blocks. This factory had a reputation locally as a dirty, dangerous place to work. The company had three divisions, all operating on one site at the edge of Sarnia. Beginning in 1962, AMC contracted with Holmes Foundry to supply AMC with <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_block>cylinder block castings.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors#cite_note-108>[108] American Motors acquired 25% interest in the foundry in January 1966. In July 1970, AMC acquired
100% of Holmes Foundry through an exchange of shares, making it a wholly owned subsidiary.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors#cite_note-109>[109] However, it was not until October 1981 that Holmes Foundry finally became a Division of American Motors, Canada. As part of its acquisition of AMC in 1987, Chrysler Corporation took ownership of the Holmes facility and its manufacturing business, but closed the operation on September 16, 1988. The industrial facilities were cleaned of their <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_contaminant>environmental contaminants in 2005, in preparation for a new <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_%28road%29>highway interchange to be built on the site.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors#cite_note-110>[110]

MARC MONTONI
Harrisonburg VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm