[AMC-list] For the person with a friend dropping a 4.0 into a '64 Americ

[AMC-list] For the person with a friend dropping a 4.0 into a '64 American, ...

Someone posted a few days ago about picking up a running 195.6 as a friend was dropping a 4.0 into a '64 American. If you don't mind asking a few questions, I would really appreciate it.

A mechanic told me there was no room between the idler arm and the oil pump on my '65 American I've stalled on putting a 232 in. Has your friend had a problem with clearance? I'm thinking all I really need to do is maybe a few spacers - but if you've (or a friend) put a 232, 258 or 4.0 into a '64 or '65 American - where there clearance issues for the idler arm? And did spacers resolve the issue?

I know the supports on the radiator need to be swapped and the radiator pushed forward. I've done this. But it looks really tight for the fan. If you've done the swap or know what parts to use - what fan would have clearance? I already grabbed a one year only '65 232 water pump for the American, and that helped clearance. But I need to figure out a fan that will fit and not hit the radiator.

Throttle linkage - this is different from a 195.6. Any hints on setting up the accelerator for a '64, '65 American with a 232? Or would a generic, universal thing work?

Measuring driveshaft. Is the best bet to pop the engine, clutch and transmission back in the car then measure back? How do you figure out exactly how much the driveshaft length should be extended (or figure how long a driveshaft you need if parts hunting). Once you have the engine, clutch and transmission back in and have a properly sized driveshaft - would you have to take everything back out again to put it in? Or loosen up the u-bolts on the rear end and just push the rear end back a bit?

My goal is to pull the '68 232 back out. Bring the T14 and clutch in to make sure I'm good. Then start playing with fitment.