Re: [AMC-list] 4.0L mileage

I never actually tried to get better mileage than what it gets. The engine is 95 shortblock, bone stock w the mopar HV oilpump, freebie so I used it. Head is a 93ish with 60-70K on it. I did a dasic port and polish concentrating on edges at the intake and taper then smoothing the valve guides and cleaning up the edges at the valve seat to port areas. No real science there. I lapped in the valves and new valve stem seals. That it on the head. Had it resurfaced. Cam is a bonafide 1987 Jeep N.O.S. out of the box with new lifters. The only thing I bought was a couple of odd gaskets. My buddy gave me everything else. Single roller stock timing chain. 91 efi and accesories from Wrangler, no A/C. Flywheel is late 70's Jeep with the big 10.9" disc and B&B pressure plate, again swapped for next to no cost. Trans is bone stock 82 AMC T5. Driveshaft is from a 77 Pinto wagon and is a bolt in! Stock AMC-15, 3:31 twingrip. All fluids are synthetic. No engine powered fan, electric 80's GM X
 -body fan, cools great, barely fits with its actual non pancake motor. 91 spec Wrangler P/S pump, 73 Hornet P/S box. Front tires, old Kelly Charger 205/60/15 Rear Tires, 255/60/15 (forget the brand) Exhaust is a 91 exh manifold, removed donut and created Y to 2.5" exhaust. O2 sensor in Y of exh manifold. 18" 2.5" glasspack by e-brake adjustment point and a 2.5" dynomax super turbo by fuel tank, all 2.5". Lowered 1 5/8" on front plates and rear blocks. I can't think of anything else that may relate to mpg. I have done multiple checks including with a gps an they all show the same 28+ highway and 24-26 mixed. mixed usually includes some "spirited" driving. > From: "Bruce" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>