engine tech question

I have a problem with my 232 auto gremlin. Under braking and sitting still,
when it should be idling, the engine runs considerably faster. When I flutter
the gas, the rpm's fall to the point where it almost stalls out. I was
thinking that maybe a vacuum line was disconnected or something in the carb
is sticking. I have a new fuel filter and lines to put on, but before I do
so, I wanted to know how to solve this problem, as it appears the car has
been like this for a while, and had premature break wear. Thanks guys.

Brian
LHSDrumGuy@xxxx