Re: [gremlintime] Towing Capacity of Gremlin, per Americana Mag ...

Re: [gremlintime] Towing Capacity of Gremlin, per Americana Mag ...

>>How/Where/Can I get a trailer hitch installed on my 6 cyl.?

Uh, I'd think you'd want it installed on the REAR of the car, and NOT on your
6-cylinder motor! Yuk! Yuk! Humor aside, any reputable CUSTOM hitch installer
can put one in a Gremlin, assuming they know a few things. Recommended is to
make sure the hitch is bolted TO THE FLOOR of the subframe structure near the
rear bumper, and that the actual tow bar with the tow ball runs under the gas
tank and secures to the side frame rails behind the rear axle on either side
with angled strut braces. That way the stress of the hitch load is
distributed WIDELY around the Gremlin unibody frame structure. The max weight
trailer they tried towing was a 1,550 lb camper, taller than the Gremlin,
also towed was a pop-up camper and a boat, none above 1,550 lbs.
Recommended HIGHLY was the Handling Package consisting off a front
anti-sway bar ( a MUST if towing with a Gremlin ), heavier-than-standard
shocks and rear leaf springs, Heavy-Duty Cooling system, and preferably a
Twin-Grip rear. Hitch maker used was Eaz-Lift in California, a customer hitch
maker, this hitch on the two Gremlins tested was rated at 2,000 lbs total
trailer weight.

>>What can I expect as a safe towing capacity?

According to the old AMC Americana corporate magazine, which did testing in
1971 of the Gremlin with 3 different tow rigs, IF you load the car up itself,
it has a leftover capacity of 175 lbs after 4 people, gear, etc are added.
That is TONGUE weight, so you can safely tow a 1,750 lb trailer w/cargo
total. 2,000 lb's was quoted as being the highest Class 1 hitch that could be
installed safely. If you aren't loading the car up with people and other
gear, that should leave you with a more than adequate capacity.

>>Thanks! Joe King

Hope I helped some, Joe.

Jerry in Virginia