Re: [AMC-List] 62 rambler classic

I don't think the factory panhard rod is supposed to be parallel at all.
 From what I recall from my former 66 Rebel, the rod had short ends that
were close to parallel at ride height and the bar connected those two
sections at a fairly steep angle. I'd check the bushings in the rod,
transmission, and motor mounts to make sure they're there. Also, the truss
rods may be damaged (one was rusted out in my Rebel) and if those are gone,
you'll have all sorts of monkey motion back there.

Based on my previous experience with ladder bars, you do not want to use
them in a street car. They really are designed for situations where body
roll is not desired (like drag racing) and you'll probably have problems
with tires lifting off the ground if you take corners fast. There are "pro
street" type bars with polyurethane bushing instead of rod ends but they're
still designed not to allow body roll. Also, 36" ladder bars require floor
surgery. I put 32 inch bars in my Rebel and they just fit.

Like Frank said, the factory shock mounts will not take the abuse of a coil
over. You can buy a weld in universal coil over mount that will provide you
with a strong mount. One issue you may run into with using factory springs
is that the rear axle isn't centered in the wheel opening. If you decide to
center the axle in the opening, the spring seats will not line up anymore.

There are a few other options for rear suspension:
- Jaguar or Corvette IRS
- Back half the car
- Leaf springs (this is likely to be the easiest way to convert to an open
drive line).
- Watts link (this is a wishbone shaped link for the top and you use two
parallel lower links).
- Find a V8 drive train (axle, torque tube, transmission) and swap bell
housings on the transmission. Torque tubes are actually quite strong and
the only real problem with them is parts are a little difficult to find.

If you're really feeling ambitions, you can contact a company like S&W Race
Cars and have them fab up a complete frame with the front and rear
suspension and motor mounts you want. I'm not sure how much different there
is between 58-62 and 63-66 cars but I had considered this for my Rebel and
they said it wasn't a problem for my Rebel.

Matt

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com