Re: [AMC-List] 1969 AMC V8 spark plugs

A: I have found that in real life things change. Fuels change, compression
ratios change, altitudes affect attitudes as well. Running colder plugs
seems to keep the ping beast away (without running an EGR valve either!)
Engines that are rebuilt often have higher than OEM compression ratio. Wear
and tear on timing gear and chain affect the VE (volumetric efficiency) and
modern oils can actually pump up compression a bit. Reading plugs has become
an almost lost art. (I admit to throwing colder plugs in when I hear the
slightest ping) Even a higher output coil (with a slightly wider plug gap)
can affect the point of engine ping. (hot/cold stat or partially clogged rad
too. Heck even Global warming can affect AMC engines! The O2 level has even
dropped significantly in the past couple decades)

From: "Jeff & Caroline" <jbennett1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] 1969 AMC V8 spark plugs
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

What number champion plug do you use in this motor, the tech
manual says
rn12yc-the champion website calls for the rn14yc, I put the 14's
in my amx
now its not running as good, I pulled autolites out and didn't
take the
number off them- I think they were 65's, and their website calls
for 66's
wHAT GIVES?

Life seemed so ez
Jeff