Re: [AMC-List] Old Seat Belts

Russ -

I would look to adding a 'plate' below the floor -
and  a 'plate' above to sandwich the floor itself,
bolting thru all three for added strength.

I've seen bolts that have sheer'd, Uni-Body floor
metal that , weaken'd from time and nature, allowed
the belt sites to tear the metal.

Welding on a plate to old Uni-Body sheet-metal floor
raises questions - I know they weld roll-cages in, but
that is a different set of stress inputs - almost unrelated
to 200lbs. @ 45mph suddenly yanking on a small square
patch weld on old sheet metal..........

If I did weld in the top plate anchor - I would extend the
bolt thru the floor and thru a 'sandwich plate' beneath the
floor > seal it up so it won't catch water / dirt / salt and
call it even.

Make certain you round the edges of the plates instead
of 'razor edged'........

I'd also take a long look at the hardware / bolts / nuts / flat
washers for the installation as well.

Went over this on the Jeepster site - many wouldn't install
seat belts since they weren't an 'option' in the '48 - '51
open roadster Jeepsters.

My late 'Doc' [father] installed racing lap and shoulder
harnesses in his 1959 Dodge Sierra Station Wagon in
1962!  These were twice the thickness of todays belts,
with heavy polished 'things' you'd pull the belts thru
and cinch up - had 'teeth' that bit the adjusting belts -
and they worked nicely.

another rant..........

I tapped a car infront of me in my GTO just after a 'misting'
of rain one afternoon, as the person couldn't decide which
lane they wanted - after I'd let them out of the Bank parking lot.
..... they locked up the brakes to sit and think..........
GTO slid @ ........ 5 mpH maybe ?  upon impact -
I came out of the seat - over the steering wheel and smacked
my forehead on the convertibles' steel header.

Yes, I was on my way to the Insurance Agent, to pay the
6mos. policy........ and it was just across the street from
that Bank.

Being Polite to merging Traffic Pays ?

Bollocks !  ;)

        =Bt=
  milnersXcoupe
   "The Heretic"

From:           	Russell Neyhart <rtneyhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: [AMC-List] Old Seat Belts

  Speaking of seat belts... Soon my oldest daughter will not be able
fit in the car seat she uses in the Eagle. I was considering using
the
set up from these folks http://www.ezonpro.com/ (or something
similar)
in the Eagle for the rear seat. Three setups would allow me to seat
my
daughter (with) and niece (without) a booster seat and my youngest in

her car seat. When they're ready, they'll be able to sit in the back
with more than just a lap belt. They have a set up that welds to the
floor and has two shoulder belts that come up and over with loops
that
the OE lap belts go through giving a four-point harness.

Has anyone tackled this problem in their old AMC? Thoughts on this?

Regards,

Russ
1988 Eagle Wagon

Brien Tourville wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:54:26 -0400
> From: Wayne MacQuarrie <waynem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [AMC-List] Re dyeing seat belts
>

> I would be very concerned with comprising the strength of the
> webbing. I
> don`t know about anyone else but restoration is one thing but the
> safety
> of my passengers is first in my mind. Also i`m sure someone has a
> black
> belt that you could get for free or at least a good price. Just my 2c
>
> Wayne
>

> <>
>

> I'm with Wayne - materials age, especially things that are in the
> weather & sunlight like seatbelts - even just lying around in
> a warehouse since 1971 degrades simply from chemistry.
>
> Watch a few crash tests on TV commercials and ask yourself if
> you would prefer a New Seatbelt or a used one that is 35 years
> old, while strapped in & slamming into a Hummer......... hmmmm
>
> ........ I'd definatly go with a NOS AMC since it's
> 'Original'......... [ ...... yeah ...... right . }
>

> Cold enough ?    The metal has shrunk so much - the Paint is standing
> .25 in. off the surface !
>

>         =Bt=
>   milnersXcoupe
>    "The Heretic"