Re: [AMC-List] NEW, not rebuilt, distributors?

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Tom, as long as you're using points you're going to get some mechanical
> "slop" in the system and point bounce, especially at high rpm
> ("...timing jitter above 3000 rpm, plus and minus 3 degrees or so.").

Points?! Me, points!? Not on your life in this car! Duraspark
II, big Ford coil, 8mm wires, big cap, ...!

It's either the Duraspark distributor, or the timing light,
that's got the jitter. I may repeat the test and fiddle with the
placement of the clamp-on pickup to see if it's that. Otherwise,
it's a bum distributor.

I've not found a good-as-new used or rebuild distributor (or
carb, or starter, for that matter) in years. Cardone is fair,
and Tomco is crap. Part of the problem is simply cores are all
worn out I guess.