Re: [AMC-list] 360 build

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:54:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Nick ALFANO<71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Frank, as for putting 4 bolt mains on a 360 and smaller engine, on a regular
block it can't be done. They don't have the structural webbing across the mains
that the 390 and 401s have.

It was obviously a 390/401 block that I've seen the 4-bolt cap in then. I wasn't sure if the smaller displacement blocks could have a 4-bolt main cap in them or not. I seem to recall the extra bolts were 3/8" instead of 1/2" like the factory main bolts, but I may be mistaken on that too. Thanks for clarifying!

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine