Re: [AMC-list] Smoking head on my 232 engine

Re: [AMC-list] Smoking head on my 232 engine

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Thanks Joe and Frank
"
" The timing is close so I don't think that's the issue. The oil is new,
" I did that before I started. I let it run for a while and it didnj't
" stop and it seems the oil level went down slightly so I"m pretty sure
" it's burning oil.
"  I've come to the conclusion that the engine needs rebuilding, but
" fortunately, I have a spare 232 (and trans.) just sitting around
" waiting for this one to die. LoL.

you could try a can of 'gunk' motor flush; i've had it free up stuck
rings.

"  Since I have to change engines, if I could find one, I'd like to put
" in an AMC V-8 engine. I may have asked this before, but what v-8 could
" I get that would bolt on?

do you have a stick?  early '70s 304s came with a t14 that had the
same nose and bolt pattern as the t96.  that bell - and at least some
of the multipattern bells that followed - would hook a late-model v8 to
a t96.

making it survive - that's another matter.

2bbl 290s and early 304s had an aluminum warner auto that was a
variant of the m35 family.  dunno if it's close enough to swap tail
for torque tube adapter.

"  It seems somebody told me that my transmission wouldn't do well with
" any of the bigger v-8's so I was thinking about an old gen 287, but I
" can't find those ANYWHERE. I could change both engine and trans but
" it's gotta bolt to the torque tube. I really don't wanna change out
" the entire drive line.

jmho, but i don't think a 287 would do any better with a 6-cyl
driveline than a 290 or 304, and would have similar adaptation
problems.

is the 6 cyl tt flange the same as the v8 one?  different trannies,
different rears...

"  Any suggestions or should I just stay with the 232?

i'd stick with the 6.