Re: [AMC-list] Smoking head on my 232 engine

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:51:54 -0700
From: "Thomas Garner"<Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Joe and Frank

The timing is close so I don't think that's the issue. The oil is new, I did that before I started. I let it run for a while and it didn't stop and it seems the oil level went down slightly so I"m pretty sure it's burning oil.
 I've come to the conclusion that the engine needs rebuilding, but fortunately, I have a spare 232 (and trans.) just sitting around waiting for this one to die. LoL.
 Since I have to change engines, if I could find one, I'd like to put in an AMC V-8 engine. I may have asked this before, but what v-8 could I get that would bolt on?
 It seems somebody told me that my transmission wouldn't do well with any of the bigger v-8's so I was thinking about an old gen 287, but I can't find those ANYWHERE. I could change both engine and trans but it's gotta bolt to the torque tube. I really don't wanna change out the entire drive line.
 Any suggestions or should I just stay with the 232?

If you must keep the torque-tube you're limited in choices. A 287/327 is the best bet, but you need EVERYTHING -- including the V-8 torque-tube and rear axle, and the engine mounts. The six parts won't even bolt up to the V-8. So you're pretty much stuck with the 232 six. You can rebuild the spare and even hop it up a bit -- it definitely could use a better cam (Isky 256 Supercam is a great choice). That and a 2V carb will make a huge difference (assuming it's a 1V now), but the cam will make a noticeable difference even with the stock 1V carb.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine